Friday, February 10, 2006

Ways to flip off the machine

Most machines have on them somewhere a power switch. See that it is in the off position. This is especially true for your television. Like the old joke goes, how can you tell when what's on TV is dumb violence? The power switch is in the on position.

I watch TV. I try to catch The Simpsons when I can, even the reruns. I also enjoyed South Park when I had premium cable. These shows help me take things less seriously. Occasionally I'll sit through a show like House, or Ghost Whisperer. But it almost invariably agitates my mental state, so me more than most should not watch televsion. The switching to commercials is the most agitating aspect. Gee, are my teeth white enough? Most shows perpetuate a standard of living that I will never be able to participate in, so my sense of isolation increases when I watch television.

So I try to keep the power switch in the off position, or stay in my room when it's on. I also try to keep the lights off when the room isn't in use, but I have a lot of improvement to go in this area. In my tendency to pace about and jump from one task to another, I tend to leave the lights on behind me.

This has been a silly post.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just found your blog by way of Fred's. Glad to find you.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

Thanks. Welcome. I'm a sporadic and disjointed poster.

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't already, I reccommend reading Welcome to the Machine by Derrick Jensen.

http://derrickjensen.org/published.html

I think you'd like it.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

Darn, they don't have that book here at our library. I'll check Tin Can and elsewhere. Thanks for the reading suggestion.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home